Many moms hesitate to get professional help for breastfeeding, until their difficulties have escalated. If addressed early, small problems do not become breastfeeding road-blocks. With my complete lactation care package, I provide anticipatory guidance and early assistance, allowing mom and baby to have a smoother postpartum breastfeeding experience.
The complete lactation care package is an excellent baby shower gift and includes:
A prenatal breastfeeding consult in your home or at my clinic. I will answer any questions you have about breastfeeding and cover all the information in my prenatal breastfeeding class. Additionally, I will provide information to address any physical or anatomical issues that could influence breastfeeding.
A postnatal home-visit consult to address any breastfeeding difficulties or questions.
On-going support by phone or e-mail.
The Lactation Consult home visit lasts about 1-1.5 hours and includes:
- Assembling a thorough health history about you and your baby
- Listening to your concerns about breastfeeding
- A pre and post-feed weighing to determine intake (if necessary)
- A physical assessment, of mom and baby, that focuses on any issues that may affect breastfeeding
- Observation of a complete feed
- Instruction on latch, positioning, hand expression, electric pump use and milk storage, if needed
- Provision of printed handouts that address breastfeeding issues
- Development of a care plan designed to meet your personal breastfeeding goals—I will help you to develop an individualized plan that works for your specific needs and lifestyle
- A comprehensive report that will be sent to your health care provider if needed
- Follow-up phone or e-mail consultation (included in initial fee) or return visits (extra fees) if necessary
- A commitment to continued follow-up until you are satisfied with your breastfeeding relationship